on gauze

 Whenever my father comes across a new English word, he asks whether that word is derived from or connected to a different, similar-sounding word.

He has learned most of the English words by thinking about their origin.

A day ago, I talked to a person who was equally interested in this aspect of the English lexicon: derivation.

We talked about the words 'bat' and 'batter' and their French roots.

I also came across some content on social media that talked about the relationship between 'Bandra' and 'Porbandar'.

They are affiliated with the words 'tied up' and 'ports'.


Semantics and roots have always made me happy, but today I read something that broke my heart.

The word 'gauze', which means a thin fabric used to cover wounds, is derived from the city of Gaza or Gazzah.

The Palestinian city was known for this delicate silk-like fabric.

It's excruciatingly painful to know that the name of something used to hide wounds and control active bleeding is derived from the Gazan soil.

Long live Palestine.

The world has failed you.

I have failed you.

I haven't prayed for you enough.

I haven't stood up for my brethren enough.


🍉

Comments

Popular Posts